Saturday, October 08, 2011

New Year, New Shuls

Part of the "fun" of moving cross-country is trying to find a new shul. Bad Cohen and I are still undecided on affiliation here in the Cleve, but I will share some highlights from the places we visited over the last couple weeks.

- YK morning services in a sanctuary whose Ner Tamid looks like nothing so much as the Eye of Sauron. Yes, 50s chic and all that, but I spent the whole time glancing nervously from my siddur to my hand, to make sure I was still wearing my ring.

- Lovely discussion with a woman lamenting her long-lost sukkah, which got destroyed by a FREAKING TORNADO. "Oh no, that wasn't here," she finally says.

- This afternoon The Kid was freakishly well-behaved, playing nicely in the backyard with minimal oversight while singing to himself. When I finally tuned in to the words, I realized he was singing "Avinu Volcano." Awesome.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Leah Weiss Caruso said...

HA! We call it "The Claw" !!!!! I like your description better!!! The weird sculptures on the walls around the sanctuary we call "the Bugs" although I think they are supposed to represent the sefirot, but WFT? They are, um, you know, part of the original decor :-) I hope services were meaningful for you - so glad you were able to be there and sorry I didn't see you!

10/08/2011 9:38 PM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

It was wonderful to be able to attend services with BC, and know that The Kid was happy playing in the other room - we haven't been to services TOGETHER in a very long time.

It was definitely a different crowd and service style than we're used to. The choir was quite accomplished. BC's grandfather (Berliner high-Reform) would have loved it.
:)

10/09/2011 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Leah Weiss Caruso said...

If you choose to visit again for a HHD service (although I encourage you to come on Simchat Torah - a VERY different feel - super joyful and spectacular klezmer band), we have a different service called the "contemporary" service which has a few instruments rather than a choir, and is a more "laid-back" style service. It's really lovely. Glad Gabe was happy in the playroom! That's a BIG bonus.

10/09/2011 9:45 AM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

That's like that old Lutheran hymn 'ein fester vulkan ist unser Gott'.

Which proves that Startrek was foreseen centuries ago.

And posits a logicality to the world of His creation.

10/11/2011 10:34 AM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

On a related note: little kid in transit station informing his mom that he LOVED the alligator.

Turns out he meant the thing that goes up.

Mondegreens.

10/11/2011 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Friar Yid said...

This afternoon The Kid was freakishly well-behaved, playing nicely in the backyard with minimal oversight while singing to himself. When I finally tuned in to the words, I realized he was singing "Avinu Volcano." Awesome.

:)

Which version?

10/11/2011 11:49 PM  
Blogger Gila said...

Eye of Sauron? chortle!

10/12/2011 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home