Tuesday, February 23, 2010

No Dough'p

Last night, despite ridiculous levels of exhaustion, I tried a hamantaschen recipe from Amy Meltzer of Homeshuling and they came out a little tough, even though I handled them minimally and rolled them fairly thin. They may be better after sitting for a day or two, though; the toddler had one this morning and was in heaven.

Yeah, you heard me, I gave a 3-year-old a cookie for breakfast. (Part of the wonder of Purim)

The orange/chocolate hamantaschen from Jewish Holiday Style didn’t freeze well – they were AWESOME when fresh (yes, 2 sticks of butter will do that) but defrosted a bit pie-doughy. Very short.

Clearly, more baking is in order. To the kitchen, hamantaschen makers!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never considered them tough, but they are of a very different consistency than cakey or yeasted hamentashen. Sorry you didn't love them!

2/23/2010 7:09 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Yeah, you heard me, I gave a 3-year-old a cookie for breakfast.

Not much different from toast with butter and marmalade - my breakfast of choice while growing up (when I actually ate breakfast, usually it would just be strong coffee with milk and sugar).
And I turned out fine.

2/23/2010 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Minnesota Mamaleh said...

hamentashen for breakfast = *such* lovely, sweet memories! i'm thinking your kids will always remember that and do the same for their own! tradition in the making! LOVE it! :)

2/23/2010 10:37 PM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

BoTH - that conclusion is debatable. ;)

2/24/2010 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to see that I'm not the only mama who celebrates Adar with hamantaschen for breakfast :)

2/25/2010 2:31 AM  
Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Yum.

2/25/2010 3:06 AM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

Cookies for breakfast taste like best mom ever.

2/25/2010 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home