Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Hanukkah Smorgasbord Redux

Cold weather, especially the kind of dry cold snap we're having now, makes me start thinking about pickled herring, rye bread, rice pudding, and glögg... so I'm getting ready for the not-quite-annual Hanukkah Smorgasbord, an adapted Julbord from my mother's side of the family.

Of course, at ours there's no pressylta (head cheese), and the Swedish meatballs are made with Morningstar Farms fake-meat.

This year's feast will include:

FIRST TABLE
gravlax
pickled herring
smoked trout or sprats
knackebrod
deviled eggs

SECOND TABLE
cheeses (leyden, of course, and something else or two)
sweet potato latkes
zucchini fritters
pickled cucumbers
Swedish rye bread

THIRD TABLE
veggie Swedish meatballs
bruna boner (Swedish brown beans)
macaroni and cheese (keep them kids fed!)
Jansson's frestelse

DESSERT:
rice pudding
gelt

And, of course, lots of glögg.

NOTES:

I knew it had been a while when I took the toddler on the 30-minute drive to Junction City, home of the Oregon Scandinavian festival, and found that the local Scandinavian store/pharmacy where I used to buy my beans has been closed for 3 years.

I can't believe I'm going to try to make Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs. My parents looked at each other like this idea was some kind of abomination.

Just found out that in the old country, Jansson's frestelse was made with sprats, instead of anchovies. Yumm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home