Monday, July 20, 2009

Domo Arigato: another food post

FYI, despite 4 days now of just me and the toddler while Bad Cohen is on a much-needed vacation with some old friends, we are both still alive, and mostly sane.

I have no comment on the amount of chocolate or Thomas the Train pictures consumed, however.

Anyway, on to the food:

Tomorrow night is my father's birthday, it's supposed to be about 90 degrees, and he's a fan of Japanese food, so I've decided to try some new recipes. The menu is dictated by the heat, his diabetes, and the fact that I'll need to do most of the prep the night before, after the toddler goes to bed.

Ginger Beef Tataki with Lemon Soy Dipping Sauce (room temp)
Spicy Glazed Eggplant (room temp)
Cucumber/Sesame salad (cold)
Salmon Teriyaki (hot)
brown rice

And maybe some pre-made sushi rolls, cold, or some spring rolls I can throw in the toaster oven to reheat.

Plus, of course, chocolate cake.
(Probably orange chocolate cake with raspberries and chocolate ganache, very easy, based on a classic blitztorte but substituting orange peel for lemon and adding cocoa powder and melted chocolate)

The tataki has an interesting cooking method I haven't encountered before, wherein the meat is cooked first, then cooled and marinated afterwards. Seems like something I should have thought of, but it never occurred to me before.

If you have decent salmon available, teriyakiing it is an excellent way to get hot food, quick and easy, without heating the whole kitchen. Just prep some sauce (soy sauce, garlic, ginger, brown sugar), pour it on, then bake the salmon in your toaster oven at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

FYI, if you don't own a mandoline (the slicing tool, not the stringed instrument), go get one. I laughed at Bad Cohen when he brought me one as a gift but that thing totally ROCKS! I was able to slice a large zucchini into paper-thin slices in about 2 minutes, with no effort, while watching the toddler. Seriously. Not having to look down at the tool is worth about $500 to me, when I'm prepping food and simultaneously doing childcare.

4 Comments:

Blogger Samantha Wilde said...

Boy, I'm really hungry now. You make such wonderful food. Food, cooking, etc. seems to elude me. I'm glad you are surviving on Thomas and chocolate. Mothers have survived on much, much worse.

7/20/2009 2:50 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Soooo, how was the Tataki (and in what way did you modify the recipe), and was it all fun?

Belated congrats on the 90th birthday to your father.

7/21/2009 8:43 PM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

ah, modifications on tataki as follows:

used London broil instead of tenderloin (cheap-ass meat, nice and lean, great if not overcooked). I seared it, then threw it in toaster oven at 400 degrees with my trusty meat thermometer in it up to 130. London broil also works great for kebabs.

I didn't have shiso leaves, so we left those out, and I didn't have bonito flakes on hand so I threw a sardine in the sauce. Yumm. Also served it with chives instead of green onions b/c that's what I had in the garden.

It was actually delicious - I had to slice the steak sideways to get across-the-grain pieces, about 2x2", that we rolled up around the ginger, chives and daikon, and dipped in the sauce.

I actually added another dish at the last moment, because I had some frozen spinach and I'm always trying to get more veggies into my dad:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spinach-with-Sesame-Shoyu-Dressing-233528

used all sesame oil instead of peanut oil, and just formed the defrosted spinach into tiny patties (about 1 tsp each). REALLY good.

7/22/2009 1:41 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Sounds delish. That tataki, that is.

Spinach I tend to treat like it's African mushy vegetables. Cook soppy after chopping, with ground peanuts, onions, spices, and coconut milk (in lieu of moambé sauce).

7/28/2009 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home