Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Do What You Are

A few months ago, I spent a lot of time and money working with a Life Coach, and really didn't end up anywhere but right back here. Oh no, she was great, she was really good at what she did, I just couldn't wrap my brain around what I actually want.

But now I think I've got it.

I want to be a professional provocateur.

Not as in someone who starts wars, just someone who asks questions. I'm really good at questioning people's assumptions, and poking holes in their theories. Not so much at providing answers, but really good at asking questions.

As Penelope Trunk points out, the best thing you can do for your career is to work hard at knowing yourself and be kind to others. Since she also says the critical new skill is knowing how to ask good questions, I should be positioned for greatness, right?

Or at least infamy.

I think I'll go for infamy - it has so much more cachet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous TJVM said...

Um, "cachet."

Yeah, picky, picky.

Or maybe you're just being provocative.

7/28/2010 1:25 AM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

LOL - thanks! That spelling was my first impulse and I overruled myself. Should have just looked it up. ;O)

7/28/2010 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandfather's gravestone reads "Beloved Husband, Father, Grandfather, and Greatgrandfather" Below that "provocateur". For real!

8/17/2010 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home