Thursday, July 01, 2010

Vindication, sisters!

Remember last week, when some idiot posited the following:

"I imagine most people in the world at large feel somewhat differently about racism and sexism and see sexism as being at least ignorable if not justifiable."

A new study from the Pew Research Center finds that most of the world believes in equal rights, although we're still far from actually accomplishing this goal.

Titled, "Gender Equality Universally Embraced, but Inequalities Acknowledged," the study, not surprisingly, finds that men are less in favor of equal opportunities than are women, especially when men's livelihoods are at stake:

"In some countries, male respondents are considerably more likely than female respondents to agree that men should have more right to a job than women when jobs are scarce. For example, about nine-in-ten Egyptian men (92%) share this view, compared with 58% of Egyptian women. Similarly, while about three-quarters of Jordanian men (77%) say their sex should be more entitled to a job in tough economic times, a much slimmer majority of Jordanian women (56%) say the same."

Kind of makes you stop and think about why OJ rabbis don't want competition.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Muppet said...

I'm not sure I've ever been more angry at a complete stranger than I am right now. You get like half a comment per post here, so I'm assuming you saw that, at worst I was unclear about what I meant on Dov Bear, but I certainly did not mean what you seem to think, and yet you've now continued to use that post to bash a certain brand of Orthodox Jew for views you assume we all have based on a number of things I never said. Odd that you accused me of being a bigot.

I'll make my challenge to you for the thrid time: Explain to me how in the hell anyone respects the openly sexist Yeshiva University for descrimnating with regard to sex in ways that would be far beyond the pale if they applied to race (say if they refused to ordain Hispanics) and I'll agree that I was wrong. Until then geez, let it go.

7/06/2010 11:49 AM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

Sorry, muppet, never saw your other "challenges" - and frankly, I don't know anything about Yeshiva University. What's the deal, they only accept men? Is that somehow different from other single-sex private schools?

7/08/2010 11:59 AM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

OK, I've seen your other comment now - sorry, didn't mean to attribute to you views you didn't hold. Your original post was unclear.

Personally, I know more people who are (unconsciously) racist than sexist, so I assumed that was an OJ view.

7/08/2010 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home