Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Negotiations Continue...


My thread on the Orthodox forum continues to produce unexpected results.

After some more conciliatory overtures, we have had some good discussion of halachah around pidyon ha-ben and other issues. When another poster jumped into the thread last night with a really aggressive response to me (yes, to me more than to my posts), the Orthodox posters I'd been corresponding with took him to task, and backed me up. Very gratifying.

I think "hit and run" is a good term for these kinds of posts, having seen them on other forums. You've gotta wonder what motivates someone to come in for a one-time slam, instead of hanging around and trying to reach understanding.

To those who say the baby's not Jewish, I offer up the following picture from our recent ultrasound:

Couldn't resist. ;)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is anybody out there in the progressive jewish world interested in reconstructing the role of Cohen rather than throwing it out wholesale? I'm somebody who

a) grew up identifying strongly with being a Cohen (presiding at a pidyon -ha-ben and giving the priestly blessing is cool for a teenage boy)

b) have had an identity realization - that I don't really believe that the sacrificial temple cult should be renewed short of the coming of the moshiach

c) am now in a reconstructionist community that simply rejects Cohanim outright as a non-democratic
institution

d) am a bad Cohen; married to a convert with a Chalal child on the way.

So, how can I reconcile my definite connection to progressive judaism with my strong identification as a
Cohen?

I think the whole concept shoud be reconstructed rather than thrown out, even if in the reconstruction I am still a very bad Cohen.

4/26/2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

Hi sweetie. Tahnks for visiting.
(Bad cohen is my hubby...)

4/26/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Maggid Sarah said...

BS"D

Hey you two-- I think I can substantiate your position, from within "taditional" halacha... I almost have it, still working...

Brachot!

4/27/2006 4:31 AM  
Blogger Tzipporah said...

Got some interesting private messages today from the Israeli Ortho rabbi. From an Orthodox standpoint, he recommended that if we really love each other, we should:

1. convert the baby Orthodoxly immediately (no surprise), and baby will NOT be halal, just regular Yisrael b/c they don't think I'm Jewish

2. Wait until I'm past childbearing age and have my OWN Orthodox conversion

3. hubby will have to answer to beit din after death for being such a bad, bad cohen. :)

Interesting that he assumed I WANTED Orthodox recognition and conversion for any of us. I guess my continuing questions and level of observance made him think I MUST be attempting Orthodoxy.

I look forward to hearing your findings, MS...

4/27/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Maggid Sarah said...

BS"D

Well, to begin with, our first premise must be that you, tzipporah, are legitimately Jewish, as is your husband, and so will your children. Any furthur considerations-- for your family aren't going to work, right?

So the first foundational point of your position is that you and your family are legally jewish.

Point two to follow.

Brachot

5/02/2006 1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home