Sunday, December 16, 2012

It could have been us

I have a 6-year old first grader.

Every day that he goes to school, I rely on his teachers and staff to keep him safe, as well as to educate him. But I also rely on the law enforcement, emergency personnel, mental health professionals, and legislators who are supposed to be helping all of us. I rely on a president so afraid of the gun lobby that in two supposedly "moving" speeches about a heinous act of domestic terrorism he couldn't even use the word "gun."

Enough with the platitudes. I don't think dead children go to heaven. I think they go in the ground or into a crematorium and their families live through hell right here on earth. There is no consolation in sharing our grief if you don't get off your ass and do something to change the laws and support systems that enable this kind of violence.

No more excuses. No more.


1 Comments:

Blogger The back of the hill said...

And, as you undoubtedly know, the insane fringe is already cicling the wagons to defend gun commerce, no matter what it takes.

12/18/2012 3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home